As we know, Medicare, the federal health insurance in US for people of 65 years of age or above, or people with disabilities and permanent kidney failure (ESRD), consists of two parts which aim to cover a wide amount of benefits. However, it fails to cover some health care costs where Medicare Supplement, or Medigap, plans come to aid. They require a monthly premium to be paid to the private insurance companies offering Medicare Supplement plans.
What benefits does Medicare provide?
Medicare consists of parts A & B. So what do United Healthcare Medicare Supplement plans cover?
The part A covers skilled nursing services. hospice, home health care, medications due to impatient treatment, and hospital sevices, such as lab tests and surgeries.
Part B covers some preventive services, mental health services, durable medical equipment and outpatient care.
Medicare Advantage (part C) exists, which fills the gap which original medicare or even Medigap cannot cover.
What do Medicare supplement plans cover?
Medicare supplement plans are not exactly health insurance policies, per say. Because they cover the costs that you’re responsible for with Original Medicare, but not actual health benefits. These are:
- Medicare deductibles for part A and part B. Only plan C and F of Medigap cover Part B deductibles.
- Coinsurance for hospital and skilled nursing facility (SNF) stay.
- Co-payments and coinsurance for hospice care for part A, and part B. Medigap covers 50 to 100% of both the policies.
- Excess charges of Medicare part B. These are covered by plans F and G.
- Blood transfusions. Hospitals sometimes have to buy additional buy just for you, instead of getting it free from blood banks. Medicare Supplement plans attempt to cover 50 to 100% of the cost for the first 3 pints of blood, after which the costs are handled by the Original Medicare.
- Skilled nursing facilities, which the Medicare parts A and B fail to cover. Again, they cover 50 to 100% of the coinsurance in this case.
- Foreign travel emergency policies. Original Medicare cover only the areas in the United States and a few territories. Medicare Supplement plans should be utilized by those who travel to foreign lands on a regular basis. Consider these plans just in case- plans C, D, F, G, M, or N. However, there are certain benefits that Medicare Supplement insurance cannot cover.
These include, 1. Long-term care (nursing home).
- Vision/dental care.
- Hearing aids.
- Private-duty nursing.